Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Pentax Q

Page 1 of 4Next

Hey guys!

I wanted to start a thread to give the aging and forgotten Pentax Q some love, my fiancee and soon to be wife gifted me a Q for Valentines and I'm very eager to begin shooting (waiting on a lens and q-to-k adapter). If any of you have a Pentax Q, I'd love to see the photos you've taken and your Pentax Q kit!

I'll be posting some pictures here with the Q as I get some good shots.

SpruceBruce, Gawad and TSTS have reacted to this post.
SpruceBruceGawadTSTS

https://www.flickr.com/gp/185043237@N07/vb06Ad

Here's one of my Flickr albums that features all D mount cine lenses adapted to my original Q.

HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs

Great shots! I really like the fall-off some of those lenses give to the camera.

SpruceBruce has reacted to this post.
SpruceBruce

I had the original Q a couple years ago. I enjoyed it!

Only sold it to get a cheap Q-S10 or something for a bit more refinement and a bigger sensor. Still waiting.

Here's a processed photo from the Q. Can't remember if this was the prime or the standard zoom though.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP1753_2.jpg
James Warner, SpruceBruce and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
James WarnerSpruceBruceHeggenDazs

Great shot! This is something I'm very much looking forward to doing, some long exposure stuff. I feel like the camera should lend itself well to long exposures and astrophotography.

Quote from HeggenDazs on February 21, 2022, 6:37 pm

Great shots! I really like the fall-off some of those lenses give to the camera.

Yeah, it's a challenge getting some good photos.  I get some really bad purple fringing with it, that's the biggest struggle.  You've kinda inspired me to pick up my Q again, and get shooting with it after browsing through my Flickr album and LR catalog.  I was thinking about selling it.  It's not always the sharpest photo machine, but it has a good nostalgic output.  The Nikon 1 V2 interests me since it has an EVF.  I REALLY REALLY wish Pentax, would release an updated version with the EVF and some better sensor IQ.  They nailed 75% of it so right.  With the fast lenses, flash, built in NDs...

Oddly, it's a very fun camera to make prints with, the noise makes a film like grain on paper.

If you're interested in trying any of my adapted lenses at all, it'd be no prob mailing them.   They're tiny and weigh next to nothing. And it'd be a quick hop from Minnesota to Iowa.

The telephoto can be really fun to play with!  Here's an example with the Pre AI 1970s Nikon 35mm F2.8

@tristanludlow That long exposure is fantastic!!!

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP7537.jpg
  • IMG_20210415_083818887.jpg
Gawad and HeggenDazs have reacted to this post.
GawadHeggenDazs

I do love that noise, it's very natural and film looking like you said. And to what you said about EVFs, I totally agree. They should release a hotshoe EVF at the least.

But since this is mainly going to be a supplemental camera for when I can't lug big guys around, it's going to be perfect for anything I might throw at it. I really can't wait to throw some crazy lenses like my helios and 18-250 on it.

Adapting crazy stuff to it really is the best part of the Q, but it also is surprisingly capable by itself. The lenses are quite nice. Here's the 01 on the Q.

In the end I moved to other crazy adapting setups and my pocket camera of choice became the GR. It got less use. But it sure was fun.

Uploaded files:
  • IMGP0620.jpeg
  • IMGP0644.jpeg
HeggenDazs has reacted to this post.
HeggenDazs
Happy snappin' 🙂

Oh also if you haven't already I was going to say you can check out this video going over some stuff with the Q:

There were things I didn't even know having owned the camera, hah!

HeggenDazs and Carl have reacted to this post.
HeggenDazsCarl
Happy snappin' 🙂

I actually watched all your Pentax Q videos! Really wished you had more, I was enjoying them.

Page 1 of 4Next